Michael Schumacher tragedy: Celebrities who suffered ski accidents
After Michael Schumacher's skiing accident, we look at some other celebrities injured or killed in similar incidents
Skiing accidents have injured or killed several celebrities. Here are some of them.
- Dutch prince Friso: The younger brother of King Willem-Alexander died on August 12, 2013, a year and a half after he was left brain-damaged by an avalanche while skiing in western Austria. He was 44, and had been buried by snow while skiing off-piste at Lech.
- British actress Natasha Richardson: She died on March 19, 2009 in New York, two days after hitting her head in what was initially dismissed as a minor accident at Mont Tremblant, north of Montreal. Richardson, 45, was the daughter of British actress Vanessa Redgrave and the wife of Irish actor Liam Neeson.
- Sonny Bono: Part of a 1960s pop music duo with his then-wife Cher, and later a congressman for California. He died on January 5, 1998 after striking a tree at Heavenly Valley, a resort on Lake Tahoe. Bono was 62.
- Michael Kennedy: Son of slain US politician Robert Kennedy, he died on December 31, 1997 after striking a tree at Aspen, Colorado at the age of 39.
According to a witness, Michael was among around 30 members of the Kennedy family that was passing a bottle filled with snow to each other as they skiied, an event they filmed with a video camera.
- Prince Alfonso de Bourbon Dampierre: Duke of Cadix and would-be heir to the French throne, died on January 30, 1989 at the age of 52 after skiing down a roped-off men's downhill run at Beaver Creek, Colorado.
A cousin of Spanish King Carlos and board member of the International Ski Federation (FIS), the prince almost decapitated himself when he hit a cable stretched across the bottom of the run.
- Marc Veyrat: A celebrity French chef who seriously injured himself on January 9, 2006 at Megeve in the French Alps after running into his daughter, who was riding a snowboard.
- Princess Caroline of Monaco: She suffered a torn ligament on February 12, 2001 when another skiier hit her from behind at Zuers, in western Austria and caused her to fall.
- Prince Laurent of Belgium: The prince suffered internal injuries on February 19, 2013 when he fell while skiing in Lermoos, Austria. The brother of Belgian King Philippe, Laurent was hospitalised for two days.